The Geek Refuge

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

---==Daxter==---

Review-time! For our first review here at TGR, I decided to tackle Daxter for the PSP. Why, you may ask, does this title deserve to be the object of our maiden reviewing voyage? Well, there is no good reason, really. I have just been playing it, and I thought it would be as good a place to start as any. Hence, our reviewing begins.....



Daxter made his portable debut in March of this year, and I recently got my hands on a copy of it. Let's start at the beginning, shall we?

I bought my PS2 about a week ago, and bought Daxter along with it. I'd heard many great things about the title, including the fact that Gamespot and IGN gave it a 9.1 and 9.0, respectively. Of course, my interest was piqued. As I popped the game into the UMD slot, I was wondering how my very first PSP gaming experience would be. Would I be disappointed?

Whenever you pop a UMD into the slot while at the PSP Home menu, and navigate to the UMD button, the screen will change to reflect what game is inserted. (I love that feature, by the way.) Daxter's furry head pops up, larger than life, and highly detailed. All the fur was distinct, and I was impressed. I clicked the button to begin, and the fun began....

After making a save file, I started a new game. I was treated to a semi-interesting intro video, which was full of the typical Jak & Daxter slapstick comedy. The end of the video set our story up, and then I jumped into the actual gameplay. The story is as follows (prepare to be amazed): You're an exterminator. (I warned you, didn't I? I'll wait while you recover from your dumbfounded amazement. Ready? Ok.) Yea, you read that right. You are a bug-killing, platform-jumping, precursor orb-collecting ottsel. An ottsel is, I am guessing, the bastard child of an otter and a weasel. Whatever. I guess the dominant gene is XY-sarcastic jerkism. ;)

Anyway, you are sent off to your first job, which is......killing bugs. You kill the bugs, jump across some gaps, climb some ladders, and collect some items. Sounds rather mundane, right? You're wrong.

This game is a blast to play! I know the story is lackluster, to say the least. But the gameplay is excellent, by far the best in any platformer on the PSP. The controls are tight and responsive, the graphics are beautiful, and the humor is a tad played out, but still funny. While this game does not break any new barriers, it does do a great job of repackaging the old ones into one fun game. So far I have only encountered one boss, but he was fun and interesting to battle. You also get to some vehicle driving, which is a nice diversion. Granted, vehicles have become the standard for platformers now, but even still, driving these is a good time. I think it all comes down to the controls, to be honest. You always feel in control of your little protagonist, and that goes a long way to make an excellent game.

Another plus for this game is the ability to save at any time. While this should be present on every portable title, it isn't. The inclusion of it in this game really adds a lot. No one wants to play for 20 minutes, miss a jump, and then have to do it all over again. Ready At Dawn (the game developers) knew this, and took care of us gamers in the right way. I guess that sums up what is great about Daxter: everything a gamer wants is here. The controls, the graphics, the gameplay, the humor, the save feature.....all these things are what we are all missing when we play a game that doesn't have them. You know what I mean, right? You're playing a goodish game, but nagging at the corner of your mind is the fact that the game is just missing something. That's not going to happen to you in Daxter. All the good stuff is there, and you are sure to enjoy it.

Priced at $39.99 MSRP, the game might be a bit short for the price tag. While I was willing to drop that much for it, due to the fact that I had worked overtime and saved up money to buy a PSP and some related goodies, you may not be in that position. The price should drop in a few months, or at the least, you could snag it used for less. EBgames, Gamestop, Wherehouse.com, Gamefly.com, or even Wal-Mart might save you a few bucks. But, if you are a PSP owner and like platformers, you should give it a try.

I give this bad boy a 8/10.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ross said...

Nice review.

The game looks alright to me. I saw a video of it last week.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Ender said...

Yea, it's fun. I got distracted from it though, when I started palying Burnout Legends and Kingdom of Paradise. KoP is a really excellent action RPG; I am totally engrossed in it right now!

There is review for it forthcoming, once I get a few minutes to type one out.

11:13 AM  
Blogger The Grand Poobah said...

Burnout Legends...must...have...more.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home